6 Tips for Happy Kids at the Dentist’s Office
While it may seem that everyone is born with built-in dental fears, this is hardly the case. Kids are impressionable and early experiences shape perceptions of just about everything, including visits to the dentist. The family dentistry office often earns a bad reputation because it can seem intimidating—bright lights, sharp tools, facemasks, and gloves—not exactly all giggles and jovial cartoon characters. However, you can make going to the dentist a fun experience for your child and eliminate the lifelong dental fears that haunt so many people. Try these six tips for helping your child achieve a healthy perspective of trips to your dentist in Munster.
1. Get an early start on promoting optimal dental care by taking your child to see your family dentistry practitioner at an early age. Your child’s first visit to the dentist should occur around the age of 1. This visit will give your child an opportunity to get to know the dentist and begin to become familiar with the experience. It is also a great opportunity for parents to ask questions about caring for baby teeth and instilling good brushing and flossing habits at a young age.
2. Make-believe or role-playing the dental experience is another way to prepare your child to care for his or her dental health for a lifetime. You can emulate a visit to the dentist by asking your child to “open wide” and count their teeth. By the same token, you can flip roles and your child can play the role of the dentist, counting your teeth.
3. Reading about the dentist is also a simple way to alleviate dental fears. Many books have been published designed to help children learn about family dentistry and good dental care. Take the time to read these books with your children at a young age and prepare them for what to expect at the dentist’s office.
4. Share your experience at the dentist. Take your child with you to your dentist visits. This is another great opportunity for him or her to become familiar with the dentist’s office and reduce dental fears by observing your experience.
5. Try a pediatric dentist to improve your child’s initial experience with the dentist. Specialists in pediatric dentistry offer a kid-friendly environment and will often have the expertise to help you optimally promote lifelong dental care habits to your child. This is an ideal option for children who are particularly shy, nervous, or have special needs.
6. Don’t share your dental fears. Even if you fear the dentist, don’t let your child know. Relaying negative experiences or showing anxiety about your visits to the family dentistry office can easily impact your child and cause them to dread dental visits.
Finding an office of family dentistry with a warm staff and caring, affordable dentist in Munster can make all the difference in your child’s dental care experience and help you successfully promote lifelong oral hygiene to your child.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Munster, call Wadas Dental of Munster today at (219) 552-7674 or make an appointment.
Wadas Dental of Munster offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Munster. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Wadas Dental of Munster, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Wadas Dental of Munster.