9 Biggest Causes of Tooth Sensitivity
If eating frozen treats is a joy of the past, or you can’t brush or floss without experiencing discomfort, you may have sensitive teeth and gums. Fortunately, you don’t have to tolerate the misery. Tooth sensitivity is a treatable condition, and once you learn how to help sensitive teeth, you can enjoy your favorite foods again and stop wincing during routine dental care. Here’s a list of the biggest causes of sensitive teeth and gums and the steps you can take to relieve symptoms.
1. You’re brushing too hard or using a hard-bristled toothbrush. This can wear down enamel and make sensitive nerves more accessible. Be gentle when brushing, and switch to a soft toothbrush.
2. Acidic foods increase pain. Avoid tomatoes, citrus fruits, pickles, and other acidic foods and beverages to reduce symptoms.
3. You’re grinding your teeth at night; this can expose dentin and allow irritants access to nerve tissue. Ask your dentist about a custom night guard.
4. Tooth-whitening ingredients in your toothpaste, mouthwash, or other products could be causing sensitivity. If you’re suspicious, try switching brands.
5. Alcohol or other mouthwash ingredients are causing sensitivity. Try a neutral rinse, or don’t use mouthwash at all.
6. You have receding gums due to gum disease. Your dentist can help by applying a sealant and treating the gum inflammation.
7. You’ve recently had a dental procedure. Some sensitivity after a root canal, extraction, or filling is common. If it continues, see your dentist to rule out infection.
8. You have a cracked or chipped tooth. See your dentist as soon as possible. In some cases, sensitivity can turn to severe pain if the damage is left untreated.
9. Decay is present around the edges of a filling. Old fillings may fracture or leak, and acids and bacteria can lead to enamel breakdown. In most cases, replacing the filling will solve the problem.
Since tooth sensitivity can be due to serious underlying problems, it’s important to seek professional evaluation. Your dentist may recommend special toothpastes or fluoride treatments to strengthen enamel and reduce sensation.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Munster, call Wadas Dental of Munster today at (219) 552-7674 or make an appointment.
Wadas Dental of Munster offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Munster. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Wadas Dental of Munster, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Wadas Dental of Munster.