Dealing with Common Orthodontic Dental Emergencies
Braces have many small components, and like any complex appliance, things can and often do go wrong with them. If something on your braces becomes loose, breaks, or functions abnormally, it’s important to know if emergency dental treatment is necessary. Most problems that arise with braces don’t require urgent care, so you can usually handle them at home without the help of an emergency dentist.
Simply follow the suggestions below for dealing with an orthodontic dental emergency. During regular business hours, call your orthodontist to explain the situation, and schedule an appointment if necessary.
- Broken or Loose Brackets – Brackets are held in place by adhesive, but trauma can cause them to loosen or break. In every case, contact your orthodontist at your earliest convenience. For a temporary fix, slide the bracket along with tweezers until it is between two teeth. Rotate it back to its normal position, and then slide it back to the center of the appropriate tooth.
- Poking Wires – Press the wire flat against your tooth using a sterile cotton swab. If this doesn’t provide comfort, cover it with dental wax. As a last resort, clip the offending wire, and see your orthodontist.
- Loose or Poking Ligature Bands and Wires – Should a ligature band come off, attempt to replace it with tweezers. Remove loose ligature wires with tweezers. Wires that are sticking out and into the lip but are not loose can be bent back gently with a cotton swab.
- Mouth Sores – It may not be a true dental emergency, but discomfort caused by braces can make eating difficult. Try a soft food diet for a few days until you can see your orthodontist for adjustments. Over-the-counter pain medications and over-the-counter topical anesthetics containing benzocaine may help alleviate mouth sores on the inner cheeks, lips, and tongue.
- Cheek and Lip Irritation – Roll a small piece of dental wax into a ball, flatten it, and use it to cover the irritated area. If you don’t have any wax with you when you need it, try using a small piece of wet cotton or a piece of orange peel instead. If irritation persists, see your orthodontist.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Munster, call Wadas Dental of Munster today at (219) 552-7674 or make an appointment.
Wadas Dental of Munster offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Munster. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Wadas Dental of Munster, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Wadas Dental of Munster.